Recently I decided to make some vegan gingerbread cookies! This was the first time I’ve made them from scratch, and I’d say they turned out pretty well, considering I didn’t really follow a specific recipe. I didn’t realize, though, how much work it is to decorate them! Totally not kidding, I thought I was going to be Picasso over here! Not quite Picasso, but I’m pretty proud of myself, considering I have absolutely no artistic ability when it comes to food! I felt like I had to make some fun gingerbread cookies because they’re super festive, right!? All that being said, I thought I’d share my recipe!
FESTIVE VEGAN GINGERBREAD COOKIES
1 and 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
5 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
Optional: Cookie icing
Preheat oven to 375º F.
1. Cream shortening and sugar together.
2. Mix in peanut butter, molasses, and apple sauce.
3. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger; mix well.
4. On a clean surface, use a rolling pin to flatten the mixture.
5. Use cookie cutters of your choice.
6. Place cookies on a baking sheet, leaving about an inch between each.
7. Bake each tray about 8 to 10 minutes and then let cool.
8. Optional: Decorate!
Note: If you decide to make these, be very delicate with the mixture once you use the cookie cutters; it falls apart pretty easily. Also, if you decide to try this recipe, definitely make changes where you see fit! This was the first time I’ve ever made gingerbread cookies, and I didn’t use a recipe, so it’s not perfect!
RECIPE PRINTABLE (Click and then select Download in the top right corner)