Today I’m coming to you with a recipe for some homemade vegan chili! I’ve absolutely always loved chili, and when I became a vegetarian in January 2013, I discovered that I could still have my same chili, just made with vegetarian/vegan ingredients. So, I thought I’d share my recipe with you in case you’re looking to make yourself some yummy vegan chili! I swear, it’s delicious! Enjoy!
1 x 796 ml can diced tomatoes
1 x 540 ml can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 garlic gloves, minced
340g Yves ground round
Optional: 2 large carrots
Optional: any other spices of your choosing
1. Chop onion and garlic.
2. Bring tomatoes, beans, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and carrots if you’re including them (I decided not to this time) to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce to simmer.
3. Over medium heat and in a large pot, heat olive oil, onion, and garlic for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground round. Break up ground round and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add chili powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and any other spices of your choosing; mix well.
6. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes or until slightly thick.
Serves 4 to 6.
RECIPE PRINTABLE (Click and then select Download in the top right corner)