I love baking in the fall and winter! It’s one of my favourite things to do! I love making all kinds of different treats, and I always make them vegan! Today, I want to share with you my easy recipe for a homemade vegan apple pie that I made recently! I hope you enjoy!
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
6 tablespoons cold water
6 apples (3 granny smith; 3 honeycrisp)
1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
Optional: 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vegan margaine/vegan butter
Preheat oven to 450º F.
1. Prepare pastry (mix flour and salt; mix in shortening; add cold water); it’s easiest to mix with clean hands.
2. Divide pastry in half; roll pastry over flour to prevent sticking. (Tip: if dough is a bit crumbly, add a bit of water.)
3. Line 9-inch pie pan with one half of pastry.
4. Peel and slice apples.
5. Sift dry ingredients and mix with apples.
6. Add apple mixture to pie pan; add 1 teaspoon vegan butter on top of mixture.
7. Cover with top pastry; poke a few times with fork.
8. Bake at 450º F for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350º F and bake for approximately 45 minutes; let sit 30 minutes before serving.