I love baking in the fall and winter! It’s one of my favourite things to do because it’s fun and it makes the house smell amazing! I absolutely love making all kinds of different vegan treats, but one of my favourite treats has always been apple pie; so today I’ve decided to share with you my very easy recipe for homemade vegan apple pie! I hope you enjoy!
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup cold water
6 apples (3 granny smith; 3 honeycrisp)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vegan margarine
Optional: 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 450º F.
1. Prepare pastry: combine flour and salt, and then mix in shortening; add cold water (it’s easiest to mix with clean hands).
2. Divide pastry in half and, using a rolling pin, roll each piece of pastry to flatten (roll over flour to prevent sticking). Tip: if dough is a bit crumbly, add a bit of water.
3. Line 9-inch pie pan with one half of pastry.
4. Peel and slice apples.
5. Sift pie filling dry ingredients and mix with apples.
6. Add apple mixture to pie pan; add 1 teaspoon vegan margarine on top.
7. Cover with top pastry and create a venting hole.
Bake at 450º F for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350º F and bake for approximately 45 minutes; let sit 30 minutes before serving.
RECIPE PRINTABLE (click and then select Download in the top right corner)